Once hubby was back, we visited Dr Lee again. The ultrasound confirmed it, there was no further growth of the embryo. I should be about 6 weeks long and it should have grown. I seemed to be taking the news rather well. I think somehow I already knew. I already knew baby was gone since Sunday and I had done the bulk of my grieving then. In a way, the doctor's confirmation finally sealed the deal. There will be no more hoping for something, no more wondering....what if? I have to move on.
Since my bleeding did not progressed into a normal period, Dr Lee said I have to go in for a D&C (Dilation and Curettage). He explained that I would be under general anesthesia, fully asleep, so I would not be aware of the whole procedure. That was fine with me. He proposed that I had it done at 4pm that same day, but I probably would need to remain in the hospital overnight. I opted for the procedure early next morning. Staying overnight in a hospital in this condition..? NO.
After a nervous day and night, I was finally on my way to the Operating Theater the next morning. Hubby was there, holding my hand as the nurses wheeled me in. I was nervous as hell!! This was like a scene straight from E.R.! I had never been in a hospital before and now I was in an operating theater! The anesthetist was very kind, so were the nurses. They probably saw the fear in my eyes. I had tubes sticking out from my arms, pulse monitors and whatever. I tried not to look at the stirrups at the foot of my bed. Then, the nurse placed a gas mask thing over my nose and mouth. Seconds ticked by and I was still wide awake. (???). Then the anesthetist asked "Are you sleepy yet?" I said no, I am not. That was the last thing I remembered.
I woke with Dr Lee's voice telling, it is over now. In my semi-awake state, they wheeled me back to my room, with hubby greeting me with a big smile. I didn't feel any pain nor any discomfort. Good. Within minutes I was wide awake again. I was glad it was now all finally over.
Getting home from the hospital was quite a challenge. I suffered severe dizziness and could barely walk. My vision was blurred but I suppose somehow I made it to the car, home and back to the bed at home.
There wasn't much bleeding after that. A slight headache but bearable. I am on antibiotics for about a week and should be back at work late next week. By now, messages of "Get-Well-Soon" are pouring in from my office co-workers, and those sort of are making me feel a little better. But most of all, hubby has been there every step of the way and I am loving him even more now, after the support and love he's given me through this most difficult time of my life.
Moved! Yes...again
17 years ago
1 comment:
I am shock to learn that your gynae actually suggested you to go for D&C so soon. No matter how skillful the gynae is, D&C will definitely gives some long term/short term side effects to your uterus. Moreover, there should not be any formation during such early pregnancy.
My gynae suggested me to rest at home for 1 week and let it bleeds. I went back to the gynae 1 week later and everything was out - good news to us as I dun need to undergo the D&C. Since no D&C, we can TTC again immediately.
Anyhow, please take good care of yourself and try again when you are ready. U need a healthy body to carry a healthy baby.
Post a Comment